Monday, January 17, 2011

THE MIRACLE OF MATTIE

Hey!!

Mom, thanks for answering all of my questions! Please don’t send me to many sweets though! I have tons and no self control! I think my eating habits are causing the zits! The Cutlers are here! They are great, but they got shipped out to a little outlying city so I don’t get to talk to them much. As far as the weather, they say it’s a mild Canadian winter again but man I must be soft! It should be below negative 30’s with wind chill this week! All I know is that it’s cold! Luckily, we have been teaching a ton, so we don’t have much to complain about!! Payt, I’m glad to hear that you are having so much fun! Be safe!!

So this week was so great! We saw so many miracles!! Ediline is amazing! She helps us so much and I think her friend, that lives with her, Marites, will be Baptized very soon! She knows it’s true, she just has to pull the trigger! Ediline went with us to Amie and Godwin and they set another baptismal date!! Hopefully they will be ready!! THEY ARE GREAT! We also saw tons of miracles with finding new amazing people!! We found a couple great families this week that I’m super excited about!! The best thing of the week was Mattie though!! We fasted for the area at the beginning of the week and things just went crazy this week! We have been so blessed!! But let me tell you about Mattie! She is 17 years old and the translator for her Mom because her mom doesn’t speak English. She has been investigating since I got into this area. She had come to church a couple times but things weren’t clicking for her and she wasn’t reading the Book of Mormon. But we taught her last week after giving her a couple week brake and invited her to read again. Her mom wasn’t too thrilled about the whole thing and when we had talked about baptism in the past, her mom was really put-off because she was a preacher in Africa and they have a church here! Since Mattie came to church, she made friends with a girl in the ward and so we were excited about it, but she wasn’t progressing much because of her Mom. So after inviting her to read again and telling her she would get answers and know that it was true, etc. We kind of forgot about her through out the week. So this week Elder Woods said, “Hey, we should call and see how Mattie is doing.” We called her and the first thing she says is, "I’m getting baptized!" haha I’m like, what? She said, "I know its true, I’m getting baptized!" I asked her about her mom, and she said "Well, she had a dream the other night that she should let me do what I think is right and she wants me to get baptized!" So I’m like, “Ok, we are having a baptism on Feb 12th, will you prepare yourself for that day?” and she says, "Sign me up!" I say “OK” and set up an appointment and hang up. Then me and Elder Woods jumped around in confusion and excitement for a couple minutes! hahahah It was the best!!! It was soooo amazing and such a miracle! We went and taught her with the family that she made friends with and she is so ready!! She was in Jacob when we went over. I was shocked!! She kept saying I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! She knows 8 languages and she has been reading it in Swahili. That’s what the Lion King stuff is haha! “Akuna mattata” really does mean no worries! hahaha She said that everyone at school was asking her what was wrong because she is usually loud and really sociable, but all she has been doing lately is reading in her spare time at school! At church she answers all of the questions and she is so great! We talked to her on Sunday at church and moved her date up to Feb 5th. She is so ready and her interview will be in 2 weeks! We are teaching commandments tonight and it’s gonna be great!! She already has such a strong testimony and she is willing to do anything because she knows its true!!! Hopefully all goes well and I can’t wait to tell you about it all next week!!!

It really has been such an amazing week with so many miracles!! Missions are the best!! I love you all so much and I know that the church is true! I know that God answers prayers and I know that his hand is in everything!! I really have learned this transfer more then ever that I really am nothing! haha I have seen so many things that have strengthened my testimony so much that if we turn things over to the Lord and do our best he makes up the big differences and blesses us in so many ways! I can’t wait to apply this in so many other things in life, school, work, friends, family, everything! In life I often have relied on myself or others more than God. As we do our best and push forward in faith and rely on the Lord, he will help us to get through anything! I love and miss you all so much! I’m so grateful for all that you do for me! Have a great week!

Love Elder Smith!